Monday, March 2, 1998

Forbidden Fruits

The following transcript for this episode is an only slightly modified version of the one produced by Comet. The original is available here (it's a Japanese website).



Chapter 1
Billy: Sexaholic?
Richard: I found a shrink who'll testify un-categorically that's what he is. Sexaholic. She would like to meet him first.
Ally: He's a US senator, Richard. He's not gonna let us portrait him as a sex addict.
Richard: Oh, please. Politicians love that. Besides, it could even be true. I hear they call his penis the Titanic because over 1500…
Billy & Ally: Richard!
Richard: Bygones.
Georgia: We're not gonna win this by telling the jury he's a sex addict. This is about one affair which led to marriage. We don't…
Richard: Suppose there are other affairs to establish a pattern.
Ally: There's no evidence of any other affair.
Richard: Well, let's get some evidence so we can argue he's sexaholic.
Billy & Ally & Georgia: Richard!
Billy: Let's just focus. We're all a little nervous here. Let's calm down.
Richard: We should argue the summary judgment motion.
Georgia: The Supreme Court has ruled on that.
Richard: They ruled on a president. They didn't go to Senators.
Ally: Richard, if the president can be sued while in office, we're gonna be hard-pressed to say that a senator can't.
Richard: We should still try.
Ally: Richard!
Richard: Ally!
Ally: Richard!
Richard: John?
John: Hm-hmm...
Ally: Okay, we have a real shot on the merits here.
Billy: If we go on arguing a point of law.
Ally: That the Supreme Court has just ruled on.
Billy: We'll lose.
Ally:  Or we're gonna make ourselves more desperate
Billy: Which will hurt our credibility.
Ally: At trial.
Richard: Have you two been passing notes on class?
John: May I make a suggestion? The summary judgment argument was made before the judge alone. There's no risk of looking silly before the jury. 
Richard: Exactly.
Billy: There is the risk.
Ally: Of alienating the judge. You go.
Billy: If we lose our credibility with the judge, it could affect our chances at trial.
John: Which is why we have Richard argue it. With respect to the law, he has no credibility.
Richard: There you go. It's been long since being in court. Yes. Good. I can do it. Good.

Georgia: This is the highest profile case we've ever had. Media will be in the room. Richard is going to stand up and argue points of law?


Chapter 2

Richard: John? Isometrics already? It's morning.
John: I have trouble with my dismounts. What are you doing?
Richard: Getting ready. I'm actually gonna argue in court. I heard the bells. Watch. Oops. Bygones. That doesn't count.
John: Don't forget the button.
Richard: Excuse me?
John: On your jacket. When you first rise, you button your coat. A sign of respect to the judge. It shows you respect him, respect his room. You stand. You swell with posture. And then you go for the button. 
Richard: Excellent. What about the fly?
John: Big case, Richard. You're sure you're up to it?
Richard: I am.
 
Ally: Basically we'll try to get a stay until after your term.
Senator Foote: How? I'm being sued for breaking up a marriage. It hardly falls on any kind of congressional immunity.
Ally: Well, Richard thinks it can cover personal conduct, too, though I think it's a long shot.
Billy: It is worth a try. At trial, they'll be getting into how you two met, possible patterns of courtship, patterns of sexual activity. This case is made for the media.
Mrs Foote: I still don't understand how this can really go forward. Marriages break up all the time. 
Billy: Technically, it is a cause of action. Interference with marital relations. An ex-wife sued her husband's mistress last year, the jury awarded her a million dollars. 
Ally: Which is why we should take one last shot to shut it down.
Senator Foote: Okay.

Ally: It is stupid, really. One guy's suing another guy because he broke up his marriage. It's just an end, and no fault.
Georgia: Why is it stupid? Somebody busts up a marriage. Why shouldn't you take responsibility
Ally: He.
Georgia: Right. He. You've been up against her before? Anna Flint?
Ally: Nah. Are you?
Georgia: No. They say she's some. Not that she's necessarily the greatest lawyer. But she's supposedly got this amazing smile, and the jury just fall in love with her.
Ally: Yeah, I hear she's a bitch.
Georgia: Totally. Who did you hear from?
Ally: I don't remember, but I believe it.
Georgia: Yeah, me, too. I also hear she tries to bait her opposing attorney. So don't let her get under your skin.
Ally: I won't.
Georgia: Ready?
Ally: I hope.

Chapter 3
Elaine: Legal memorandum coded blue. Factual outlines, red. Discovery pleadings, hot pink. And I've also highlighted certain parts of deposition that I thought might be helpful. 
Richard: Okay. Let's go! Go! Let's go!

Richard: Is the courtroom this way?
John: Pretend you know.

Billy: All set?
Senator Foote: Ready. 
Mrs Foote: Yes.

Ally: Ah, there she is.
Georgia: Yes, I see her.
Ally: I don't see what the big deal is.

Opposing counsel: Ally. This is Anna Flint. She's actually gonna be trying this case. Ally McBeal.
Ally: Hi.
Anna: Hi. Nice to meet you.
Opposing counsel: Georgia Thomas.
Georgia: Hi. 
Anna: Pleasure.
Ally: (Wow, that is the smile.)

Bailiff: All rise. Be seated.

Judge: All right. I've been informed that the defendant does want to be heard in summary judgement.
Ally: Yes, Your Honor. Addressing this issue would be my colleague, Richard Fish.
Richard: Your Honor, my name is Richard Fish. Before making my argument, I'd like to come clean with my lack of objectivity because in addition to being an attorney and an office of this fine court, I am a citizen of the United States of America. And as such I am appalled that the machinery of our government can be hampered by these cheap lawsuits.
Judge: Mr Fish, the Supreme Court has recently ruled that the president of the United States may be suited while serving his term. So why should we excuse a Senator? 
Richard: Glad you asked me, Your Honor, because it would allow me to comment on a very small detail so far ignored with respect to the Clinton-Jones ruling. 
Judge: What's that?
Richard: They screwed up. 
Judge: Who?
Richard: The Supreme Court. Bad ruling.
Judge: The Supreme Court screwed up?
Richard: Yes. 
Judge: You would like me to substitute your judgement for theirs?
Richard: Yes. Do I win?
Judge: No, Mr Fish, you do not.
Richard: Your Honor, their ruling was based on their conclusion that the president being sued wouldn't take up much of his time or hamper his ability to do the work. Hello? How, how are they not gonna be a burden, not gonna take up any time. Let me tell you something, Judge. The Supreme Court, they're old. And the media… Take up a newspaper. Any newspaper. What do they cater to? Dirt. Sleaze. Gossip. Crap.
Anna: How is that relevant here?
Richard: It's relevant for two reasons. One, the American public. Stupid people. You wanna sample in either guests on Jerry Springer or they serve in jury duty. Two, Lawyers like me. I'll sue anybody. Merits? Ha! Who cares? I'll go after senators for the fun of it. And don't tell me I can't cripple a congressman's ability to do his work. With today's media, ??? check the facts. I can say something about you having sex with a goat. Totally untrue. So what? All I'm gonna do is say it. Newsweek will print it, and boom! Your whole docket becomes spin control. The Supreme Court blew that ruling. I'll say it to you. I'll say it to them. Bad ruling. Bad, bad ruling.
Judge: Quiet! Quiet down! Mr Fish, despite your zealous and scholarly analysis, I've decided not to overrule our highest court. 
Richard: Please note "damn it" for the record.
Judge: Trial starts tomorrow morning at 10. 

Chapter 4
Anna: That was pretty impressive, I have to say.
Ally: Yep, that's our Richard.
Anna: Ally, um, forgive me for saying this, but don't you think it's a little inappropriate to wear such a short skirt in the courtroom? I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. It's just, as a woman, I …
Ally: Yes, and as a woman, Anna, we all know they're not real.
Anna: What aren't real?
Ally: Those teeth.

Richard on TV: We make special exceptions all the time. Young men are sent to war to their ??? for the sake of the country. The national interest is put before their lives. But it can't be put before a ??? little wimp who cries ??? because his wife left him? Maybe ???. And of course politicians will drop everything to defend their image in their business. I've been like…

Renee: You know, you really should tell this guy not to talk.
Ally: He said he would stop as soon as his 15 minutes are up. Do you think that this should be a case anyway? A jilted spouse suing the person that came between them? That's pretty bogus, isn't it?
Renee: I think so. Of course, my perspective could be a bit off. I'm usually the person coming in between. Where is your perspective, Ally?

Chapter 5
Anna: Isn't this a little embarrassing, suing the man your wife left you for?
Mr Bepp: Yes. I'm sure to the world this makes me look pathetic. But more pathetic would be for me to sit home and feel sorry for myself.
Anna: Some might accuse you of acting out in a public way, Mr Bepp.
Mr Bepp: I am acting out. I'm speaking out. My wife and I had a happy marriage. Then he invaded that marriage. As a result, he ended it. 
Anna: How can you be sure your marriage wasn't doomed anyway?
Mr Bepp: Because my wife told me. She said that she still loved me, that she couldn't imagine not ever being with me forever until he came along. 

Ally: Could she have just been saying that? Many times when somebody's trying to end a relationship, you flatter them in the process. (That's what I do.) 
Mr Bepp: I'm sure that's true. But there's still no denying the fact that he pursued a married woman. 
Ally: And do you think the law should enforce a marriage contract?
Mr Bepp: I think the law should hold accountable anyone who willfully tries to breach it.
Richard: Your Honor, one second to confer with counsel?
Judge: Quickly.

Richard: You're doing terribly.
Ally: Richard, I'm not done.
Richard: Still, so far, it's awful. Bygones.

Ally: Mr Bepp, what about the man who… He doesn't try to pursue the woman and yet he's attracted to her. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?
Mr Bepp: No.
Ally: And certainly, if the woman was also attracted… Maybe she, too, fell in love just by being near him. Can't really blame the guy there, can you? 
Mr Bepp: No, but if…
Ally: No, no, hold on. Suppose two people, despite their mutual attraction, they stay away from each other. Suppose they even deny their attraction. But still there's no really denying that they love each other. Have they committed any offense?
Mr Bepp: If they haven't acted on it, no. But when he acts on it…
Ally: Isn't it difficult to draw that line, Mr Bepp? Where is the act? Two people who work near each other, the attraction takes on a life of its own. Where does the man cross the line? Is it a smile? Is it an extended gaze? Is it an admission of the attraction itself? Isn't it impossible to draw that line, Mr Bepp?

Chapter 6

Elaine: How did it go?
Richard: It went great. Ally was great. She blurred the line. ??? came out totally confused. Now it's John's turn. Are you ready?
John: I am.

Billy: Georgia.
Georgia: Shut up.
Billy: What?
Georgia: Sorry, I didn't mean that. I just… 
Billy: What's wrong?
Georgia: Shut up.
Billy: Maybe we could speak in private.

Georgia: Every time I convince myself it's nothing, every time I think I'm making progress, I realize that two of you have it.
Billy: She was defending a client.
Georgia: Boy, was she good! She couldn't have been better if she were defending herself, could she?
Billy: You know what, Georgia? Why don't you just go out and get yourself a new haircut or something?
Georgia: What?
Billy: I am getting sick of this!
Georgia: You're getting sick of this?
Billy: Yes I am! 
Georgia: You yell when you know you're wrong!
Billy: I do not!

Georgia: Why are we lying about this? You're still in love with her. Why are we lying about this?

Richard: Georgia?
Georgia: I'm off this case, Richard. 
Richard: What do you mean off? We're a team.
Georgia: I'm off your little team!

Billy: Hey, I need you for a second.

Billy: Whatever the hell is between us, whatever isn't, you leave it out of the courtroom. That was unprofessional what you did in there! And it was out of line!

Elaine: Whatever it was, I'm sorry I missed it.

Richard: Team meeting?
Billy: Shut up, Richard! Shut up!

John: This office is fraught with emotional volatility.

Ally: Whatever the hell is wrong with you, don't you ever just get into my office, unload, and leave without me having my say!
Billy: Fine! Let's have it!
Ally: Have what?
Billy: Your say. Let's have it.
Ally: I don't have one.
Billy: What?
Ally: I don't even know what you said was about. So how can I have a response? But you didn't know I didn't have a response when you stormed out. For all you knew I had a say.
Billy: You're a wacko, Ally!
Ally: I'm not the one having tantrums! What's the matter?
Billy: You wanna know the matter?

Chapter 7

Ally: Do you think I'm trying to break up your marriage?
Georgia: Do I think you're trying? I think you can do things without trying, Ally.
Ally: Look. You are competing with history. But that is all you're competing with.
Georgia: Do you really believe that?
Ally: Yeah. He's not gonna leave you, Georgia. And even if he considered it for a single second, you would at least see a hint of it.
Georgia: I haven't really been looking for that hint.
Ally: But I have. I admit it. I haven't encouraged it. I don't even want it. But I have wondered.
Georgia: This dialogue is just a little too healthy for me.
Ally: Georgia, you and I are friends. Even if Billy could betray you, I couldn't.
Georgia: Oh, Ally. 
Ally: It's true.
Georgia: Do you remember the game "Truth or Dare"? That stupid high-school game?
Ally: Yeah.
Georgia: Truth. You and Billy are somehow stranded on a deserted island together. No one around. No one would ever find out, couldn't possibly find out. Are you telling me nothing would happen?
Ally: Nothing would happen.
Georgia: Nothing?
Ally: Nope. 

Chapter 8

Anna: And Mr Colson, can you be sure that the senator in fact pursued Mrs Bepp?
Mr Colson: Yes. It was in the office. People'd been working late. There was a boom box going. He asked her to dance.
Anna: Well, excuse me, but I've been asked to dance. 
Ally: (There go the teeth.)
Anna: I'd sort of hardly say I find it offensive. 
Ally: (Bitch.)
Mr Colson: Yes, but he looked really predatory. And I heard him say as he asked, "Would you mind dancing with me for the rest of your life?"

John: The song playing was a song by the Supremes, "Someday we'll be together," correct?
Mr Colson: Yes, I believe so.
John: Mr Colson, have you ever been, well, swept up by a song?
Mr Colson: Excuse me?
John: For example, while driving, a song comes on the radio, a song you like, and suddenly, unwillingly you find yourself driving faster. Has it ever happened?
Mr Colson: Sure. 
John: Sometimes at the party, you could be talking, maybe about politics, while the song is playing. You look down at your foot to discover it's tapping. That happens, doesn't it?
Mr Colson: Of course.
John: ??? your shoulder ??? move a little? Not ??? while dancing just while standing?
Mr Colson: Sure.
John: In that moment, your foot tapping, your shoulders swinging, maybe even a hip. Your eye goes to somebody else enjoying the music. A pretty woman, looking like she might even care to dance. Did you ever just ask that woman to dance just out of the sway of the moment. Nothing intended. Just, "Hey, let's dance." 
Anna: I really have to object to this.
John: And suddenly out of nowhere, you're arrested by the most beautiful face you've ever seen, and you go to her and say, "Dance with me. May I?"
Anna: No. Objection.
Judge: Mr Cage.
John: I'm sorry, Your Honor. Music moved me. It was compounded by her face. I didn't mean anything by it. I apologize.

Renee: So you lied.
Ally: Through my teeth. What was I supposed to say? Yes, if Billy and I were on a deserted island, it would be a completely horizontal way of life? Of course I lied. Sometimes you have to lie.
Renee: So Georgia has a point then. She's absolutely right.
Ally: No. She's not right about me busting up her marriage. That will never happen.
Renee: What was that?
Ally: That little huggy bastard just threw a spear at me!
Renee: Ally, the time has come. You gotta go into therapy.
Ally: Oh, come on, Renee. With everything I've got going, my insurance would---where is he?---never cover it.
Renee: This Billy-Georgia thing is getting worse. It's affecting your cases. You're ducking spears thrown by imaginary babies!
Ally: So what?
Renee: You're a wacko!
Ally: And I like it.
Renee: Now we know the seed of all this crap. You either get into a room with Billy and Georgia. Or you get into a room with a doctor. But this has gone on long enough.
Ally: Renee, even if I get passed all my problems, I'm just gonna go out and get new ones. I like being a mess. It's who I am!

Chapter 9

John: Ally.
Ally: John.
John: This Flint woman, she's a trickster. She may call a new witness, try to introduce something out of the blue… It's not about that. What she endeavors to do is to get the opposing counsel into a contentious sidebar, and then she smiles.
Ally: She smiles?
John: While the other attorney's facially contorting in protest, she grins warmly, inviting the jury to love her. When this happens, you have to smile, too. 
Ally: Okay.
John: Have your cheeks reach upward for your eyebrows.
Ally: I know how to smile John.
John: This woman is good, Ally.
Ally: I can smile with anybody.
John: Okay. Ally, should the ooga-chucka infant dash into the room, please ignore him.
Ally: Yes.

Ally: Hey.
Billy: Could you sit? 
Ally: Think John Elroy will retire now that he finally got a Super Bowl ring?
Georgia: Rings are only symbolic, Ally.
Billy: Ally, Georgia and I were up all night talking.
Ally: Talking? You're married? I was kidding.
Billy: I told her that I still love you.
Ally: You… What?
Billy: I'm not gonna lie about it. I always will love you. We grew up together. You'll always be a part of me. 
Ally: Oh. Oh, the part-of-me kind of love. 
Billy: But I also told her that my feelings for you don't compromise, and won't compromise, my love for her. 
Ally: Well, it's all settled then.
Billy: It is not settled. It's a problem. 
Ally: No, no, no. See? It's not my problem.
Georgia: Stop ducking responsibility.
Ally: Georgia, it's your marriage. Don't involve me into this!
Georgia: Like it or not, you're part of this!
Billy: Hey! I agree what happens between me and Georgia shouldn't involve you. But it does. And I blame myself for letting it get to this point. Look, we went to a therapist this morning. We met with him for an hour and a half. We're going back. But he wants to meet you. 
Ally: What?
Billy: He wants to talk to you about…  
Ally: No, no, no. I'm not going to your therapist. I won't even go to mine. 
Billy: I know it sounds crazy.
Ally: It's insane! What kind of therapist could possibly recommend that…
Billy: Normal rules don't apply here, Ally.
Elaine: Coffee?
Billy & Ally: Get out!
Ally: I am not going to your marriage counselor. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever even heard of.
Georgia: Maybe not the most ridiculous. I can't go on like this. And I will never figure this out until you figure it out. I think that two of you should get together for a night, and just get it out of your systems. Call me a psycho. I don't care. You two need to know if this is really there or not. Go ahead. Take a night. Take a weekend. Just find out!
Billy: Georgia, that's…
Ally: Absurd!
Georgia: You wanna deny that you need to know. Go ahead. Do that too. But I need to know. I need to know.

Billy: I don't think that's an appropriate solution.
Ally: It's not the way I'd go. I have to get to court. I have to go defend that, the senator. Bye.

Renee: She said what?
Ally: You heard me.
Renee: Get it out of your systems, and by it she meant what?
Ally: Well she didn't exactly spell it out. But it was very clear what she meant.
Renee: It-it?
Ally: It-it. She suggested Billy and I get it-it out of our systems.
Renee: Well, are you?
Ally: Am I what?
Renee: What do you mean by are you what? Are you going to do it-it with Billy-Billy?
Ally: No. The fact that she would even suggest it.
Renee: I gotta hand it to Georgia. That's stepping up.
Richard: Come on. 
Ally: We're gonna talk about this later.
Renee: You can count on that.

Judge: Ms Flint, any more witnesses?
Anna: One second, Your Honor.
John: I sense the trickster.
Anna: Your Honor, we'd like to call Mrs Foot, formerly Mrs Bepp, to stand.
Ally: Your Honor, we object to that. 
Anna: Why? Is there a problem with her telling her story of the events?
Ally: Side bar, Your Honor.

Ally: Your Honor, adultery is a crime.
Anna: That is an archaic law that is never prosecuted.
Ally: Nevertheless, it is in the books. Therefore, technically, it's a punishable crime.
Anna: In the interest of justice, I would ask the court to impose commonsense.
Ally: In the interest of justice, I would ask the court to recognize the Bill of Rights.

There's hidden persuasion within your eyes
Your charming indifference is but a disguise
Since every game requires that element of chance
Here's hoping at least we'll find romance

Chapter 11
Billy: Okay, we will. We will, Richard.

Billy: He says it went well. But he still wants us there for Foote's testimony. He doesn't want the jury sensing any attrition.
Georgia: Right.
Billy: I have never been more offended or more insulted by what you said today.
Georgia: Think it was a childish bluff? I am sick of trying to convince myself of something you are not convinced of.
Billy: How many husbands admit to their wives they still love their former girlfriend? How many?
Georgia: You say that you should score points?
Billy: I should!
Georgia: Fine! Sleep with her. Go hit the jackpot. 
Billy: You know something, Georgia. That woman, Mrs Bepp.
Georgia: Mrs Foote, now. 
Billy: Right. Foote. When she was Mrs Bepp, she thought she was happy. She thought she would be with her husband forever. But she was wrong because something better came along. She then discovered that love could run a lot deeper than she'd ever imagined. Me and Ally. Yeah, we loved each other deeply. I discovered what it meant to really love when I was with her. 
Georgia: I'm thrilled for you.
Billy: You should be, because what I'm trying to say… When I chose you, I didn't just marry the first person that I fell in love with. I married the person that I fell most in love with. The fact that there was an Ally in my past, if anything, that should make you feel more secure.
Georgia: That was the best one I've ever heard.
Billy: What's stopping me, Georgia? We don't have kids. If she loves me, and I love her, what's stopping me?
Georgia: Good question!
Billy: If you don't know the answer, then you don't know me.

Ally: Thanks for having a sleepover. I know. I know. I'm a simpering little needy thing.
Renee: It's okay.
Ally: They're talking about me. 
Renee: Excuse me?
Ally: Billy and Georgia, they're talking about me. I can tell. I can always tell when people are talking about me. My left fibula itches.
Renee: Your what?
Ally: My fibula. It's a bone in my shin.
Renee: It itches?
Ally: When people talk about me.
Renee: You're just thinking about Georgia's sort of proposition. 
Ally: No. 
Renee: Come on.
Ally: No! Go to sleep.
Renee: Fine.

Chapter 12
Senator Foote: I loved her. That's my defense.
Ally: You loved her when you asked her to dance for the first time?
Senator Foote: No, but I was probably infatuated. The dance was just a dance. It wasn't part of a scheme to interfere in somebody's marriage. 
Ally: But, Senator, at some point…
Senator Foote: Yes. Listen. Not only was she married. So was I. There were stakes for me. Not to mention my political career, with the media just salivating to exercise their journalistic integrity. This was not something I did for a thrill or whim. I fell in love. 

Anna: You knew she was married when you asked her to dance?
Senator Foote: Yes. 
Anna: The following Tuesday, you went out for coffee, and according to your wife's journal, you told her you longed to be inside of her. Emotionally?
Ally: Objection!
Judge: Sustained.
Anna: Senator, is it your testimony you never had any intent to cause this woman to break up with that man. 
Senator Foote: Love rarely involves specific intent, Ms Flint.
Anna: That's very poetic.
Ally: Objection. That was very argumentative.
Judge: All right.
Anna: Senator, did you place a tape of a Nat King Cole song in this woman's inbox?
Senator Foote: Yes. Yes, I think I did. A long time ago.
Anna: A long time ago? Back when she was married to my client?
Senator Foote: Yes. 
Anna: Your Honor, I'd like to play the tape for the court.

John: She's up to something.

Whisper to me. 
Tell me, do you love me true
Or is he holding you
The way I do?

Anna: The name of the song is He'll Have To Go.
Senator Foote: Look, that doesn't mean that…
Anna: Senator Foote, you approach a woman known to be married and ask her to dance with you for the rest of your life. You then take her out for coffee and tell her you ache for her. Then you drop a song called He'll Have To Go into her… Objection!
Judge: Counsel! That is enough with all the antics.
John: I apologize. 
Ally: He asked.

Chapter 13

Renee: In open court?
Ally: It was John's idea.
Renee: And the judge didn't blame you?
Ally: The judge knows how silly this case is. I think he probably thinks these tactics go hand in hand. 
Renee: Speaking of hand in hand, did you any give more thought to Georgia's sort of offer?
Ally: No.
Renee: I'm not saying I think it's a good idea. But how often do you get the forbidden fruit served right upon a silver platter. 
Ally: I am not going to be biting Billy's fruit, Renee. 
Renee: You didn't even consider it? Not even for a second?
Ally: I had a second, but not seriously. All right. Five seconds. I thought about it for five seconds.
Renee: And how was it?
Ally: Never mind. The only thing is that…
Renee: What?
Ally: Well, when Billy and I were together, I wasn't really good at sex. And now…
Renee: What do you mean "now"? 
Ally: I'm good in bed, Renee. 
Renee: He-he-he…
Ally: What?
Renee: Ally, I'm your roommate. We have thin walls. And you… "Hnn-huh, hnn-huh ..."
Ally: I don't sound like that. 
Renee: I make more noise breaking in a new shoe.
Ally: I am fantastic in bed!
Elaine: Georgia is here.
Ally: Thank you, Elaine.
Georgia: Ally, I just… I was out of line yesterday. I'm sorry.
Renee: So Billy is off the table?
Ally: Renee! She's a big riot.
Georgia: I really am sorry.

Elaine: Georgia, I can't help but notice some of the stuff that's been going on, probably because I actually pay people to listen. Anyway, between you and me, I think you should have an affair. Men want what they can't have. If Billy wants Ally, it's only because he can't have her. I mean, he certainly didn't want her when he had her. He wouldn't have left. My point is if you would have a little indiscretion, that would make him insecure and then he would want you. But right now he knows he can have you. And that's the problem.
Georgia: I see. So then the reason you're alone is that every man in Boston knows he can have you?
Elaine: Exactly. That disparaged me.

Flint: He's not here to get rich. He's not asking that you award him a lot of money. He's asking that you recognize the sanctity of a marriage, his marriage. We're always quick to blame the cheating partner. But what about the person who knowingly walks into a marital relationship and breaks it down? Is he or she without responsibility? There has to be a difference between romantically pursuing somebody who's single and somebody who's married, doesn't there? If not, how can we really say the institution has any sanctity? What he did was wrong. Strange that Mr Bepp would come to court for such a verdict. Sad that, in these times, he'd have to.

Richard: You better have more than a smile.
Ally: I agree with everything she said. Sad that this issue would have to be addressed in a court room. More sad that people really don't respect marriage anymore. He was wrong. Lots of people commit adultery. It happens. No, it shouldn't happen. It's wrong. But it's also wrong to think that a law or a jury is gonna make a difference here. If two people love each other so powerfully, they're gonna end up together. Stick laws between them. Stick a court, a judge, an old girlfriends. They will still find a way to end up together. Now I'm sure that he still loves her. And she probably still loves him, but these two, they're the ones who are meant to be. If you wanna be angry, because the one you love loves somebody else a little more, I understand that more than you know. But anybody, anybody who has ever been truly, truly in love knows that my client didn't have a choice. Yes, marriage is and should be a sanctity. And the one over there, it is.

Richard: Great. We're on call. The clerk sensed a swell as they're re-entering the room. He thinks they'll come back fast.
John: I'm drawn to her.
Richard: What? Oh, no. Ally? Again?
John: Not Ally. The Flint woman. I'm drawn to her.
Richard: Take a number, John. I'm not saying you have no shot. But you'd certainly have to get radical. A woman like that? She gets hit on all day. 
John: What would you do?

Billy: Hey.
Georgia: Hey.
Billy: Listen. Ally's closing. I don't know whether the jury will believe it or whether you believe it. But I do. I'm meant to be with the woman I'm with. I mean it.
Georgia: I guess I'd still like you to know it. 
Billy: I do, Georgia. I do.
Georgia: Billy, I don't wanna stop with the counseling. We need it. 
Billy: Okay. 
Georgia: A lot of it.
Billy: Whatever it takes.

Richard: What happens if it's guilty? Congress could expel you. You'd have to run for president. Kidding. Bygones. 

Judge: Madam foreperson, has the jury reached a verdict?
Jury: We have, Your Honor. 
Judge: What say you?
Jury: In the matter of Bepp versus Foote intentional interference with marital relations, we find in favor of the defendant.
Judge: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, thank you for your service. Court is adjured.

Senator Foote: Thank you, Ally. Your words, that closing.
Billy: Ditto.
Ally: Well, legal training.
Billy: Yeah. 

John: It was a noble prosecution.
Anna: Thank you. We did our best. What was that? 
John: Just thought I saw …
Anna: You touched my wattle, you little perv.

No comments:

Post a Comment