Monday, February 23, 1998

Once In A Lifetime

The following transcript for this episode is an only slightly modified version of the one produced by Comet. The original is available here (it's a Japanese website).



Chapter 1


When you just give love
And never get love
You better let love depart
I know it's so
Yet I know
I can't get you out of my heart

Ally: I sense the ick.
Renee: Already? You haven't even had a real date yet.
Ally: I know, but I'm feeling the ick, and since he's my boss I don't want to go out with him just to get hit with the ick.
Renee: Then tell him.
Ally: Tell him?
Renee: Tell him.
Ally: How?
Renee: How?
Ally: Renee!
Renee: Look. Why don't you just go through with the date?
Ally: Because then he'll blame himself. I know John Cage. He'll think he did something wrong. If I cancel the date, he'll think he is something wrong. What's better, to blow it or not stand a chance?
Renee: I don't know. But what we both do know, the Biscuit has a nose for the truth. So you'd better be straight. Just tell him he just doesn't do it for you.
Ally: Maybe it would be easier on him just to go on one date. I could be really really boring, and he would lose interest.
Renee: Ally, if you like John Cage as much as you say you do, you know what has to be done.
Ally: I have to dump him.
Renee: You must.
   

Chapter 2

Elaine: Of course it's not a criticism from me. But I know that when Richard hired you, he was expecting you to bill 200 hours a month. And under that yardstick, which of course isn't mine, you've been a disappointment.
Ally: Thank you, Elaine.
John: Ally.
Ally: Hey, John. Better get inside.
Richard: Come, come, come, come, come on. Come on, come on, come on ... John, John, John, John. First up, Zelda Hughes wants to retain us to sue Burger King, claims this crispier taste of their french fries was all her idea. I haven't officially said yes to her.
Billy: What do you mean, her idea?
Richard: She wrote them a letter saying their fries should be more crispy and taste better. Thinks they stole her idea. What can I say?
John: That's just stupid, Richard. Speed it up. Next.
Richard: Next up. Seymore Little, artist, new client. He wants to retain us
Ally: Seymore Little? The Seymore Little? 
Richard: The very one. He wants to retain…
Ally: Oh wait, no, no, no. He, he's our client? I, I, I majored in art history. He's the Seymore Little? I get to meet him? 
Richard: You can get to represent him. He wants to get married. His son won't let him. He's retained us. 
Ally: What do you mean, his son won't let him?
Richard: He was deemed mentally incompetent two years ago. Evidently he's a bit of a cracker. But of course since we represent the cracker, we won't be taking that position. He wants to marry. His son thinks the woman's really after his money.  
John: Oh balls. Move on.

Richard: I won't pretend to care what's bothering you. But I do care very much as to how it affects me. That kind of blatant disrespect in there is unacceptable. You got that?
John: I'm sorry.
Richard: You should be! Okay. Bygones.
John: I feel a waffle.
Richard: A what?
John: A waffle. She's retreating.
Richard: Who?
John: Ally. Something has occasioned her emotional recalcitrance.
Richard: Have you kissed her yet?
John: Not really.
Richard: John, if you don't kiss a girl on a first date, you're a gentleman. If you don't on a second, you're gay.
John: I don't wanna come off a predator.
Richard: Listen to me. All that stuff about feminism, autonomy, gender equality, women don't really want that. They want to be taken!
John: They do?
Richard: I'm not saying cavemen. And don't do anything against her consent. But you have to initiate some aggressiveness. You are the man.
John: That logic disconcerts me.
Richard: Grab her hand sometimes. You squeeze her neck in the back. It's half massage, half "you belong to me." Sometimes you hold her by both shoulders. Women need to feel dominated even when they say they don't. For God's sake, kiss her. The body talks, "You're mine. You feel my dominion. You wanna surrender to it." Off we go.
John: Georgia.
Georgia: John.

Chapter 3
Ally: He's in there?
Elaine: With his bride-to-be. I'd call her a tramp if i were one to judge
Ally: Yes. Were you one.

Ally: Mr. Little, hi. I'm Ally McBeal. This is such an honor for me. I'm such a huge fan of your work. 
Seymore: Tell someone who cares. Send in the lawyer, will you?.
Ally: I am the lawyer.
Seymore: Dressed like that?
Paula: Seymore!
Seymore: Well, look at your skirt. Go tell your boss I want pants. While you're at it, tell him to throw in a penis! 
Paula: Seymore!
Seymore: Men make the best lawyers. That makes me a chauvinist?
Richard: How's it going?
Ally: He wants a penis.
Seymore: Get me a real lawyer, Fish. No real lawyer wears a short skirt like that. I want pants. 
Richard: Mr Little, you may be wealthy . You may be famous. But you will not insult my attorneys. Go change your clothes. This woman is an excellent lawyer. Go go go. 
Ally: No. You want me, you take me the way I'm dressed.  
Billy: What's the matter?
Richard: Good. Pants. Penis. Co-counsel. Done.
Ally: Richard, Richard, Richard! Hold on a minute. Maybe we should just let Billy…
John: Ally. 
Ally: John. What's up? 
John: Well, dinner, tomorrow night, eight, we'll go right from here. 
Ally: Sure.
John: Excellent.

Paula: And since he has a legal guardian, the court says he has no capacity to consent to marriage. 
Seymore: And my son won't give the consent. 
Paula: But we're told that we can get it by court order.
Billy: Okay, well, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. You're 60 years apart. 
Seymore: New math, huh?
Paula: Mr Thomas, we know it seems silly to the outside world. But he's not incompetent. 
Billy: So why does your son say you are?
Seymore: Because he's trying to control me. All I want to do is to get married and open a little gallery. And he won't let me!

Billy: She wants his money.
Ally: Well, they didn't exactly look like a perfect match. I mean, two of them having sex… 
Billy: Speaking of strange bed fellows, you and John Cage?
Ally: Well, he uh… He kind of surprised me. 
Billy: I cannot exactly say I see you two…
Ally: What? Because he's odd? I actually like odd. 

Ally: There's no body in there.
Billy: It definitely came from that stall.
Ally: Oh, hey, John. 
John: Ally. Billy.
Billy: How's it going?
Ally: Well, we heard somebody flush the toilet, so...
John: Oh, I, I flushed the toilet.
Ally: Excuse me? You have a remote toilet flusher?
John: Sometimes people leave in haste, forgetting to flush. Other times there are residual remnants. I like a fresh bowl.
Billy: Why don't you just flush the toilet before by hand?
John: My regularity is easily thrown. Unclean bowls trouble me. Well, excuse me.

Chapter 4
Sam: The guardianship is not based on insanity. It's on incompetence to make daily decisions which necessarily affect his life. There is a difference.
Billy: I know that. And we don't have to begin on a hostile note.
Sam: You're accusing me of mistreating my father. It's difficult not to take that personally, Mr Thomas.
Ally: He thinks you're trying to control his money. Is that true?
Sam: Well, yes, but that's sort of the point. He's not capable of running his own affairs. He still talks to my mother. She's been dead for seven years. He has conversations with her. 
Ally: Well, that doesn't necessarily make him incompetent. Lots of people speak to the dead.  
Sam: Yes, well, she speaks back. Last July she asked for a boat. He bought her a 300,000 dollar yacht. 
Ally: Okay, but why not let him marry, if that's what makes him happy? 
Sam: Ms McBeal, I would love for my father to meet somebody and move on with his life. But I'm telling you he's not moving past my mother's death. 
Ally: Then why does he wanna marry this girl?
Sam: I don't know. I do know that he's not in love with her.
Ally: How can you be so sure?
Sam: I know my father.
Billy: Could you be more specific?
Sam: There are some people who meet that somebody that they can never stop loving no matter how hard they try. My father met that somebody. I wouldn't expect you to understand that or even believe it. But trust me. There are some loves that just don't go away. 

Chapter 5

Ally: Mr Little, the judge might view communication with the dead person as a form of mental unfitness. 
Seymore: We were together for 56 years. If I wanna talk to her after she's dead, I'll do it. And when she wants to talk back to me, that's her privilege. You never know the once-in-a-life-time love, hmm?
Ally: I pray not.
Billy: All right, other than general competency, we're also faced with undue influence. That means you.
Seymore's bride-to-be: What about me?
Billy: Like it or not, it's gonna look like you're after his money.
Ally: Mr Little, we will go into court if that's what you want. But we have to be honest about something. This could be terribly painful. 
Seymore: Lean forward skirt-less. Lean forward. My wife died. My son went to court and had me declared incompetent. Now, what kind of pain do you have in store for me that I don't already know about? 

Love brings such misery and pain, yeah
I guess some never be the same.

Richard: What are you doing? Are you depressed?
John: What?
Richard: You do that to fight despair. You think I don't know that?
John: I also do it for focus. In this case, hypothalamus isometrics. The brain actually fires courtship neurons. I'd like to stretch them before a date. 
Richard: Ah. You're ready? What's the matter?
John: I'm a poor kisser. I secrete excess saliva.
Richard: You do?
John: It could perhaps save my life should I be lost in the desert. On a date, it's debilitating. Sometimes it…
Richard: Excess saliva… 
John: I'm inclined to just give her a peck. But Cheanie did that. She was offended.
Richard: Talk to Billy.
John: Billy?
Richard: Certain women like to be kissed in certain ways. Some like to turn their head to the left. Others to the right. Maybe the tilt, three-quarters. Some like the flat-tongue French kiss. Others the tip flutters. Some like to lead with the lower lip. What?
John: These are more issues than I was prepared to address.
Richard: What I'm saying is Billy grew up kissing Ally. He would know what she's like in the mouth. Yeah! 

Chapter 6
Judge Boyle: Why did you buy a boat?
Billy: Joe DiMaggio bought Marilyn Monroe flowers every single day for 30 years after her death. We call that romantic.
Judge Boyle: Yes, flowers. But he bought a boat.
Opposing counsel: Your Honor, as the previous court correctly held, Mr Little is no longer capable of managing his own affairs. There's a slew of anecdotal evidence. Just look at the papers before you. This man is not well.
Judge Boyle: Step up here, Mr Little.
Ally: (Oh God.)
Judge Boyle: Let me see your teeth. 
Ally: (This was bound to happen.)
Judge Boyle: I want a full hearing. 

Paula: So what does that mean?
Ally: Seymore takes the stand and undergoes questioning. Paula, what's the deal?
Paula: I'm sorry? 
Ally: I know you're an art student. You probably admire him. But, look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I'm smelling a rat in the wedding cake, and I think that is you.
Paula: I'm after his money?
Ally: That would be my guess.
Paula: Except I'm willing to sign a prenup that says I get nothing?
Ally: That doesn't stop him from giving you everything while he's still alive.
Paula: Ally, may I call you Ally?
Ally: Yes.
Paula: I think your job here is to give the client what he wants.
Ally: My job is to protect my client's interests.
Paula: Fine. Figure out his interests and protect them.

Chapter 7

Billy: John, come on in.
John: I'm loath to intrude.
Billy: What's up?
John: As you know, I'm on the precipice of a date with Ally.
Billy: And?
John: I'm fraught with anxiety. Should I endeavor to kiss her? Well, according to Cosmopolitan magazine, women draw significant conclusions about the man's potential technique as a lover simply by the way he kisses. I'm not saying I agree with an excess, but being prone to high saliva secretions, I'm fraught.
Billy: You came here for advice on how to kiss Ally?
John: I apologize.
Billy: The truth is, John, as a senior partner it doesn't make a lot of sense for you to be dating associates
John: I'd only planned to date one. But I appreciate your candor.

Georgia: John.
John: Georgia.
Georgia: You seem a little miffed there.
Billy: Do you think it's right? He's a founding partner.
Georgia: Right, and she's an associate.

Chapter 8
Sam: I didn't bring a lawyer because I'd like to keep this under the table. My father's liquid estate is worth a little over 800,000. I will sign it over to you if you walk away. I cannot put him through this hearing tomorrow.
Billy: Whoa whoa whoa. We don't represent her. We represent your dad. So even if…
Paula: I have a counter. You keep all of his money, except provide living expenses. You keep his entire estate. In exchange you agree to revoke guardianship and let us be married. You get all of the money. And I only get him.
Sam: I will not let you hurt him.
Paula: And I won't let you.

Billy: Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue?
Ally: She can't be a gold digger. She's willing to give up his whole estate. And certainly he's not gonna make any more money. It's… What are we missing?
Billy: Maybe they do love each other. I mean, this one-love-forever thing, that's silly. Somebody else is gonna always come along.
Ally: Somebody did. Paula.
Billy: Uh, yeah.
Ally: Do you believe what his son said, that some people meet somebody who they never stop loving?
Billy: Uh, well, it's been known to happen.
Ally: Yeah, yeah. It's been known to happen. You know, every time I get by this something comes along to tear the lid off. Am I the only one…
Billy: It's not right to talk about a thing which I can't also talk about with Georgia. And I can't talk about this. It's just the case affecting us.
Ally: Yeah, yes, it's the case.
Billy: And you and I, we're still going through a stage.
Ally: Yeah, it's… It's a stage.
Billy: And we're making good progress, I think.
Ally: Yeah, most of the time I don't even think about you.
Billy: Excellent.
Ally: Yeah. Well, let's get over our case. Go over our case. Tomorrow. The case.
Billy: Right, okay, you take him on the stand. I'll take the son. 
Ally: Sounds good.
Billy: So let's go over the evidence. 
Ally: Yeah, let's. Okay, anecdotal evidence of incompetence.
Billy: Yep, okay, incompetence. The conversation with the dead wife... 

See the pyramids along the Nile
Watch the sunrise on a tropic isle
Just remember, darling, all the while
You belong to me
See the marketplace in old Algiers 
Send me photographs and souvenirs
Just remember when a dream appears
You belong to me

Chapter 9
Renee: But nothing happened?
Ally: Of course nothing happened. He's married. I like his wife, and I gave up adultery for Lent.
Renee: But you're obviously upset. 
Ally: Because I feel myself falling backwards.
Renee: Ally, if you so much as touch that man, I will break your skinny little knees.
Ally: I'm not going to touch him. What do you think I am?
Renee: Who knows what you are! For all I know, that damn ooga-chucka will come out again. You'll be on the floor with...
Ally: I will not! I am just admitting a relapse. I just need...

Judge Boyle: A protective order?
Opposing counsel: There's no reason for any of this to be public, Your Honor. My client feels these proceedings could cause embarrassment to his father.
Billy: We have no objection to sealing the room, Judge.
Judge Boyle: Fine. Done. Now, I must admit that this man is somebody I've looked up to. Besides Picasso, he's one of my favorites.
Ally: (Picasso?)
Judge Boyle: As officers of the court, do you believe in the legitimacy of this marriage?
Billy: We certainly don't doubt his sincerity. We have no real cause to doubt her since money has been excluded as a motive.
Judge Boyle: All right. Let's go.

Billy: Are you ready?
Ally: I'm ready.
Billy: Use the velvet glove. Whatever you do, don't provoke the guy.
Ally: I won't.
Billy: Just keep it gentle and nothing fancy. Keep it soft like…
Ally: What are you doing?
Billy: Something I gotta do. Just once.
Ally: Billy…

Billy: Ally. Are you okay?
Ally: Me? 

Chapter 10
I heard people say that too much of anything is not good for you, baby. 
But I don't know about that
There's many times that we've loved
We've shared love and made love
It doesn't seem to me like it's enough
There's just not enough, babe. 
There's just not enough. 
Oh Babe.
My darling, I can 't get enough of your love, babe

Seymore: So I forget things. I'm old.
Ally: Okay, Mr Little. Aside from the memory loss, your son…
Seymore: I remember him.
Ally: You love him?
Seymore: Like a son. 
Ally: And there's really no question of his motive here, is there?
Seymore: I'm sure in his mind he's protecting me. I guess at some point the child becomes the parent. And like the parent, the child can sometimes victimize with good intentions and fear.
Judge Boyle: Why did it have to be such a big boat? This is a big, big boat.
Seymore: Your Honor, you know, sometimes when a person gets older, and there's a certain point where they are not really there mentally. Not really. 
Judge Boyle: Yes.
Seymore: Are you one of those people?
Judge Boyle: Mr Little, don't you be trickery with me. 
Ally: (Be trickery?)
Seymore: Your Honor, Paula makes me happy. I'm old. I'm lonely. Why do I have to come into court to ask for her company?

John: I won't stand to be disparaged.
Richard: What are you doing?
John: I'm preparing myself rhythmically.
Richard: Ah! What about the kissing issue? Did Billy give you any help?
John: I decided it might be best not to kiss her.
Richard: No, wrong wrong wrong! You have to…
John: I don't want to goo her.
Richard: John… Elaine! Excellent. You probably grew up kissing everybody, right?
Elaine: Actually, no. I was known as a giver in high school. So even on first dates boys go directly to second base. But I am a good kisser.
Richard: Have you ever kissed a guy, you know, with too much saliva?
Elaine: The worst.
Richard: But it's not too, too bad, is it?
Elaine: Oh. No. No. Some girls like the slobber. Anyway, it's easy to fix. 
John: It is?
Elaine: Yes. When kissing becomes really sensual, sometimes you actually suck the other person's tongue. It's kind of like a vacuum effect. You can actually swallow your own saliva, maybe even some of hers, without her noticing. She'll just think it's an incredibly erotic kiss. 
John: You suck on it?
Elaine: Can I show you? You see? You secreted. But I swallowed. No slobber.
John: I need ice.

Chapter 11
Judge Boyle: It's irregular, but I'll let him ask a few questions.
Sam: Thank you. 

Sam: Dad. Why are you saying you love this woman?
Seymore: Gee, I don't know. Maybe because I love her?
Sam: But you're not over Mom yet, Dad? You refuse to visit her grave, you say so yourself, because you refuse to admit she's gone.
Seymore: I don't have to be told that she's gone, Son.
Sam: Doesn't this demean your marriage to Mom?
Seymore: No. 
Sam: You said that you would never let her go.You said that you would always cherish her and her memory. This isn't cherishing her, is it? 
Seymore: You shut your mouth!
Sam: I don't know what's going on here. I do know that this doesn't seem like you. My dad doesn't seem right.
Seymore: Was it right for her to die? Was it right for the old world to just end, for me to go on living in it? The sun still comes up. People still go about their lives like it was nothing. It's no tragedy when an elderly person dies. She didn't suffer. It was a blessing. There was no suffering. No suffering.
Sam: You don't think people knew your suffering?
Seymore: I want my gallery! I want to marry whoever I want! I'll buy any kind of boat that I want! Huh? Oh. I know, sweetheart. I know. It's how I get, Gail. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

Ally: I asked you before, and I'll ask again. What is going on? And don't tell me how much you love him. Now, is this more about that art gallery?
Paula: Yes. All he wants is to open a little place and paint pictures of his wife, Gail. Maybe sell some. But his son doesn't think he's either competent or capable. So he says no.
Ally: So how does your marrying…
Paula: Well, if we get married, in time I could be named guardian, and I could let him open his little shop. 
Ally: So that's what this is all about? Well, why didn't you tell us?
Paula: Tell you it's a pretext and expect you to argue it?
Ally: So this is just so he can start a gallery, and you would profit from the sales of his pictures?
Paula: Ally, I paint better than he does right now. He's not going to sell much, and he knows that. He just wants his gallery.
Ally: Does his son know this?
Paula: Yes. I don't think he knows that's what this marriage is all about. So now what?
Ally: Well, you're right. I can't go back in there asking a judge to allow a sham. But I can talk to his son.

Sam: So that's what this is. I endow her guardianship so he can open up his art gallery.
Ally: So if you just let him, the marriage will be off. And you can still be the guardian.
Sam: I can't let him. I can't let him open his art gallery.
Billy: Why not?

Sam: This is what he paints. Her. Her. All day long.
Ally: These are pretty good.
Sam: Ally, my father may be the most important American impressionist of the century. This is not the work of an icon.
Ally: So? If this is what he wants to paint, then…
Sam: If these ever found their way to the marketplace, not only would they be ridiculed but his, his legacy would be ruined. I will not let him be laughed at.
Ally: You're more concerned with what people would say when he's dead than letting him do what he wants to do?
Sam: Every night my father would pray that he'd leave behind him two things. My mother. He couldn't bear the thought of her dying first. And his artistic legacy. My mom died first. I couldn't help him there. But his reputation, that I can help preserve. And I will.

Chapter 12

Ally: Even so, he's doing what he says his father wants while his father says he wants something else.
Billy: What if your dad wants to continue practicing law after he lost and other lawyers start laughing at him. Would you wanna step in?
Ally: Well, I suppose….
Billy: Ally, we all think about our legacy, and we hope we know when to get out before we get hurt.

John: Ally, it's eight o'clock.
Ally: Oh! Right. Yes. John and I have a date. 
Bily: Great. Have fun.
Ally: Thanks. Well, see you tomorrow. 
Billy: Tomorrow it is.
Ally: Let's go! (Boring. Narcissistic. And we're off.) I really wanted to do my hair, put a few spirals in it. But I didn't have enough time to get any real spring. Usually I can get ready for a date quickly. Just a little smudge plum on my cheeks. I like a stiff brush. It looks great, especially when I can rim my eyelashes with a nice white pencil. I'm really concerned more with how I dress. I like a high waist. Of course, I can't bear not being symmetrical.
Man: Hold it. 
Ally: Some men like makeup. Now I have this sweeping beige cream pink blush. I almost ??? Do you ever wake up with puffy eyes?

Oh, some things I can't get used to
No matter how I try
It's like the more you give, the more I want
Baby, that's no lie
Tell me, what can I say?
What am I gonna do?
How should I feel when everything is you

ALLY: God, I'm trapped in '70s hell and I cannot get out. 

What kind of love is this that you've given me?
Is it in your kiss just because you're sweet?
Boy, all I know is every time you're near I feel a change
Something moves I scream your name

ALLY: And he's having a great time.

Ally: And of course I don't prefer speckled nail polish. I just can't find deeper shades.  And I found this wonderful blueberry enamel. It really brought up my eyes. I tried it with this gold-loaded cheek powder. Oh my god, I had ??? in my mirror. 
John: Excuse me, why, why are you talking so fast? 
Ally: What?
John: Subject matter aside, the rapidity of speech puzzles me.
Ally: Oh. Um. Well... This case I'm working on. This man still loves his dead wife.
It's really hit me. I'm a sucker for unrelenting love, I guess.
John: I have unrelenting impulses. 
Ally: Sorry?
John: Oh!
Ally: Oh, John. You knocked me off my feet with that one.
John: Are you hurt? 
Ally: No. I'm fine. That's one to call it a night on, don't you think?
John: I've been untoward.
Ally: No, it's okay. We'll talk tomorrow. I had a great time. Night, buddy.
John: Night. She called me "buddy."

Chapter 13
Richard: Look, first dates are sometimes rocky.
John:  I was untoward.
Richard: John, you probably just surprised her. That's all.
ELAINE: Did you suck her tongue? 
John: I may have drawn blood.
Richard: Look, the worst thing isn't startling your escort. My first date with Whipper, she called the police. Next day, I got wattle. Bygones. He was untoward.

Seymore: Come.
Ally: Hey.
Seymore: Skirtless. You make house calls?
Ally: Yeah. Listen. We need to make a final argument to the judge this morning, and we really don't have one. These are beautiful.
Seymore: For an amateur.
Ally: Your son... Well, it seems what he really wants to protect in all this is your name in the art world. Which you say isn't important to you. But the problem is that according to him, it is. Or at least, it was. And he thinks that when you were more... 
Seymore: Competent.
Ally: I'm here trying to figure out what you really, really want. Mr. Little, tell me what you want.
Seymore: What I've always wanted… Paint what I feel and share it.
Ally: And all you paint is her.
Seymore: Yeah. Yeah.

Chapter 14
Ally: John, I'm sorry.
John: It's quite all right. I suppose we're even.
Ally: I wasn't looking where I was going. I am so sorry. Are you okay? 
John: Yes. Fine. Ally, I replayed the date several times. And I realize that your cosmetic babbling was designed to incur my disinterest. You're a very sensitive person.
Ally: Um, John, I... I think that... Sometimes I just know that it's not a match, even when I don't know the why part. Renee and I, we call it the "ick." 
John: Ick? I don't like this word, ick.
Ally: Well, it sounds pejorative, but it really just means..."not meant to be." I mean... It could be that you and I work together. It could be that you're kind and I need somebody who would be miserable to me. And it could be... 
John: You're in love with somebody else.
Ally: What? No, no. I don't think that's it. I'm not even seeing anybody else. Are you really okay?
John: I've jammed my flusher. I'm fine.
Ally: Well, um... I am due in court, so I better get going. We'll talk later, okay?John: Sure. Something tells me he's still in love too.

Chapter 15
Opponent counsel: We have provided the court with substantial documentation showing the financial hardship to the estate if Mr. Little were allowed to open a gallery and display his recent works
Billy: It's servitude.
Opponent counsel: It's protecting his interest...
Billy: Guardianship doesn't presuppose...
Opponent counsel: Guardianship presupposes his incompetence! I'm sorry to have to say this in this room, Your Honor, but you have forced this ugliness. Mr. Little is incompetent. Now, if he were allowed to open a gallery, display picture after picture after picture of his dead wife, inferior works, the estate gets hurt. His reputation gets hurt. For God's sake, his son is just trying to protect him. Art students all over the world revere this man. Let that be. Please. Let that be.

Ally: He still loves his wife. He wants to continue experiencing it and sharing it. And maybe that makes him crazy, but we should al nl be so lucky to end up with somebody with a bit of that insanity. Somebody who never lets you go. Somebody who cherishes you forever. Talk about a legacy. Loving somebody forever. That's a legacy. You want his world to go on, Sam. So does he.

Judge Boyle: I'll have to figure out the logistics, but I believe I can construe a guardianship that allows him to open a shop.
Opponent Counsel: Your Honor, nobody here wants to see him get hurt. 
Judge Boyle: I see that. That's why I think it will work.

Why does the sun go on shining?
Why does the sea rush to shore?
Don't they know it's the end of the world
'Cause you don't love me anymore?

Billy: Will you forgive my letting go?
Ally: I forgive it. But I'm still not sure I'll ever understand it.

Why do the stars go above?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when I lost your love
I wake up in the morning and I wonder
Why everything is the same as it was
I can't understand, no, I can't understand
How life goes on the way it does 
Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when you said goodbye
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when you said goodbye


No comments:

Post a Comment