Monday, January 19, 1998

The Blame Game

Chapter 1
Flight Attendant: Water, sir?
Passenger: Thanks a lot.
Flight Attendant: You're welcome.

Ally: I hate flying coach!
Georgia: Do you want to switch seats?
Ally: It's okay. You would think that since the client is paying, we could fly first-class.
Georgia: Well, it's Richard Fish paying, I guess.
Ally: What was that?
Georgia: I don't know.
PILOT: Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the bumpiness. We are experiencing some trouble with one of our engines. It should be corrected momentarily. There's no reason to be alarmed, and... What the hell!
Flight Attendant: Stay in your seats. Don't anybody panic!

Renee: What? Ally, what?
Ally: Dream. Plane. Crash.
Renee: Okay, calm down. Easy. Calm down. A plane crash?
Ally: Oh, man. It was so real.
Renee: You're just nervous about the trial that's about to start.
Ally: Oh, God, Renee. Renee, what a horrible way to go.
Renee: It actually crashed?
Ally: Yeah, and we were in water so... Somehow I survived and I started floating to the top in a seat. But Georgia, she didn't make it.
Renee: Georgia didn't survive?
Ally: Uh-uh.
Renee: Dead?
Ally: Yeah. It isn't funny.
Renee: I know, it's just...
Ally: No, no. She got her head chopped right off. Are you sick, Renee? You're sick!
Renee: You killed her.
Ally: Sick!

Chapter 2
Ally: I just don't want you to take it personally.
Georgia: Oh, Ally. It was a dream.
Ally: Even so, on some unconscious level, I killed you.
Georgia: I'm sure it had more to do with the trial.
Ally: I still can't believe how they haven't settled. Why would the airline really wanna take a...
Glenn: Oh, I'm so sorry! I...
Ally: Glenn!
Glenn: Ally.
Ally: Would you still... Here... You're still in the country?
Glenn: Yeah, something came up and I couldn't leave.
Ally: Oh. Gee.
Glenn: You're looking great.
Ally: You too. Georgia, Glenn. Glenn, Georgia.
Georgia: We met. At class. Hi.
Glenn: Hi.
Ally: So?
Glenn: So we should go out again, get together again.
Ally: Yeah. Yeah, why don't we?
Glenn: I'll call.
Ally: You do that.
Glenn: Okay. I'll see you.
Ally: He told me he was leaving the country.
Georgia: Bastard.

Jonh: My name is John Cage. I, along with my colleagues Ally McBeal and Georgia Thomas, represent the children of Joshua Lamb, a 70-year-old pharmacist who died in the crash of Transatlantic flight 111. We cannot prove what caused this plane to crash. Some suggest it was a fuel tank. Others, a faulty wire. Truth is, we don't know. Res ipsa loquitur. What that means basically is, "The thing speaks for itself." The plane crashed. It speaks for itself. Would you repeat after me? Res ipsa loquitur.
Jury: Res ipsa loquitur.
Opposing councel: Objection.
John: Your Honor, since I would be asking them to apply this doctrine. I only wanna be satisfied they're capable of pronouncing it.
Judge: All right.
John: Res ipsa loquitur. Now, to be sure you didn't just mimic the sound, I'd like you to think about it for a few seconds and then say it again when I point.
Jury: Res ipsa loquitur.
John: Excellent. This jury pleases me.

Renee: Ally, what's the harm? The sex was great. You didn't ever expect to see him again. And now you're mad because he didn't call?
Ally: It's the principle! He used a line. He flashed me a little "gather ye rosebud" look and I bit his hook, line and swallowed his sinker.

Chapter 3
Glenn: Ally? Can I steal a second? It won't take long.
Renee: Don't you have a plane to catch? -
Ally: Renee!

Glenn: That was weird, huh? Running into each other.
Ally: Yep. Weird.
Glenn: It wasn't a lie. I was planning to leave the country. Something actually did come up.
Ally: Fine. Bygones. Door.
Glenn: The reason I didn't call... Ally, you're a lawyer. We... We have about as much in common as...
ALLY: (Just give him the chill.) It's okay. Don't worry about it, Glenn. It's no problem.
Glenn: Look, I may be out of line, but I had this feeling that you slept with me because I was leaving the country. I felt like this cheap one-night stand.
Ally: You what?
Glenn: Let's face it. I mean you could have asked me to stay at the night. We made love in the living room. I didn't even see your bedroom. And afterwards, I could read your face. "It's time for you to go now."
Ally: You didn't call me because you felt like a one-night stand?
Glenn: Wasn't I?
Ally: No.
Glenn: Well, great. Then let's go out again.
Ally: (He's tricked me.)

Georgia: You're going out with him again?
Ally: Well, after I thought about it he, he sort of had a point. If I had considered him boyfriend material, I would have held him up to the boyfriend test, which he would have failed in a second. But since he was leaving the country, I didn't consider him boyfriend material, which means I didn't  hold him up to any test. Which means he didn't fail any test. So I slept with him.
Georgia: So... Aside from the...
Ally: Meat?
Georgia: How was he?
Ally: Oh, Georgia, believe me. You have no idea.
Georgia: Really?
Ally: Oh, no. No, I didn't mean it that way. I promise.
Georgia: We should get back in.

Chapter 4
NTSB chief investigator: All we know for sure is that the fuel tank exploded. Whether it was an electrical fire or a mechanical failure or, well, a supervening act, we don't know.
Georgia: And will you learn more about this crash in time, sir?
NTSB chief investigator: No. The FBI study, CIA, National Transportation Safety Board... All the studies are in, and nothing is conclusive.
Georgia: But you can rule out missile?
NTSB chief investigator: Yes.
Georgia: Bomb?
NTSB chief investigator: Yes.
Georgia: Lightning?
NTSB chief investigator: Yes.
Mr ???, as chief investigator for the NTSB, what's your opinion as to what brought this plane down?
NTSB chief investigator: Mechanical failure.

Opposing councel: You didn't find any evidence for mechanical failure, did you?
NTSB chief investigator:  No, we didn't.
Opposing councel: Any evidence of human error?
NTSB chief investigator:  No.
Opposing councel: Anybody in Transatlantic has been fired or suspended as a result?
NTSB chief investigator:  No.
Opposing councel: As the Transportation and Safety Board has determined, nobody here did anything negligent?
NTSB chief investigator:  That's correct.
Opposing councel: Did you ever claim you were abducted by aliens?
NTSB chief investigator:  I had a vivid dream once. I adjusted my position on the alien thing. I want to put that situation behind me if we could. I was 18. I was a different person then...

Richard: They offered zero?
John: Zero.
Richard: Zero as in nothing?
John: As in.
Richard: What am I missing? Killed in a plane crash. The big airline. How can it be zero?
Ally: Causation is tough.
Richard: The plane crashed!
Ally: But the cause of the crash is unknown.
Richard: Well, it had to be the airline's fault. What's their defense? Missile ???
Georgia: The burden is on us to prove negligence. Legal liability requires...
Richard: Don't bring a law on this. When somebody's dead, there's money. John, speak.
John: I am troubled.

Chapter 5

I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me

I've got it bad for you, darling
But I don't need a cure
I'll just stay addicted
And hope I can endure

All the good love
When we're all alone
Keep it up, boy
Yeah, you turn me on...

Renee: Are you sure she wasn't up there?
Georgia: I just left, she isn't.
RENEE: She said 6:30. Maybe she just...
Ally: Hey. Hey, sorry. I'm late.
Renee: Where were you?
Ally: Oh, I had a couple of errands.
Renee: A couple of errands?
Ally: Yeah.
Renee: You've had sex.
Ally: What?
Renee: I can see it, okay? Your cheeks are all flushed. You've got that sex afterglow.
Ally: Are you on drugs?
Elaine: I can see it too.
Ally: This is crazy!
Elaine: It's a true thing, you know. Women get an actual redness from sex.
Ally: Will you all just please shut up?
Georgia: Glenn.
Renee: You slut.
Ally: I just... I think it's some sort of quarter-life crisis. I just, I just... Well, he called me to see if I wanted to have a drink. I told him to meet me at home. I will deny ever having said that.
Billy: Hey, Ally! Where have you been?
Elaine: Out climbing Jack's beanstalk!
Ally: She is such a kidder. She's such a stitch! How about those Celtics?

Chapter 6
Ally: I don't have any afterglow. That's normal pink.

John: I apologize.
Ally: Apologize? How... How could you fall like that coming out of a bathroom stall?
John: I was hoisting myself, doing some isometrics. I'm prone to evening blood-flow droppage. Isometrics invigorate me. The fall was an aberration. I'm typically quite fluid in my dismounts.
Ally: Well, are you okay?
John: Yeah. My body reacts well to crisis. Ally?
Ally: Yes.
John: I know we're in the throes of scheduling our first date. But given that we're in trial, I'd feel most comfortable if we suspended our plans until you're finished with the well-endowed model. Being the "jugglee" troubles me.
Ally: Well, I understand that. I certainly do.

John: Hey.
Billy: Hey.

Billy: Hey.
Ally: Hey.
Billy: This Glenn guy, is it serious?
Ally: Who? What? Why?
Billy: Glenn.
Ally: No! No...
Billy: Are you sleeping with him?
Ally: You can't ask me that!
Billy: Ally, we're friends. If you're involved with somebody, friends talk about stuff like that.
Ally: We're not involved. We just met.
Billy: But you're...
Ally: No, no, no! You can't ask me that. Now it is enough that we have the unisex and we have to pee in the same room. You can't ask me that! No!
Billy: So, that's a boundary?
Ally: I think it should be. Yeah.
Billy: Okay.

Chapter 7

Airline manager: We combed through that aircraft piece by piece. It wasn't static electricity. It wasn't faulty wiring. The air conditioning didn't overheat.
Opposing counsel: You sound a little annoyed.
Airline manager: People at my airline, they have been blamed for killing people. And they didn't. There's no evidence of any negligence. We did nothing wrong.

John: When a person chooses his or her air travel, he or she probably has various factors to consider. Where to go. That would be one of the first considerations, don't you think?
Airline manager: I suppose.
John: Business, first class, coach. Another decision to be made.
Airline manager:  Yes.
John: Some people require special meals.
Airline manager:  Yes.
John: Do any of your customers inquire, "will the plane be blowing up?"

Richard on TV: A case like this is why I started this firm. To answer the call to human anguish. To perhaps make air travel safer for all people in the process. Too often we hear the adage, "Law is business." Well, it is not just a business to me or the other fine attorneys of this firm. It's a calling.
TV reporter: The defense expects to...

Richard: This case is putting us on the map. Win or lose, we profit. We will win, won't we? Georgia: Richard...
Richard: Deus ex machina.
Georgia: Res ipsa loquitur. And even if we do win, we have no shot at punitives. And compensatories for death of a parent are minuscule.
John: Ally, the settlement conference... I want you to be me. Opposing counsel has a bead on me. They're laying in wait for me. I want you to be me.
Elaine: Ally, there's a human sundial here to see you.
Ally: Oh, thank you, Elaine.
Billy: Let's try to grow up a little, shall we?
Elaine: Let's try.
Richard: You two actually find things to talk about?
Ally: Oh, I don't like to attach anything audio to him, Richard.
Richard: Touché.

Ally: So... What's up?
Glenn: Stopping by. I'm on my way to class. I was wondering if... Maybe you might be hungry later.
Ally: Definitely.
Glenn: Great. Dinner?
Ally: Sure.
Glenn: Good. I'll pick you up.
Ally: Okay.
Glenn: I'll see you.
Ally: Bye.

Chapter 8
Renee: He will get over it. Ex-boyfriends still get jealous. That's why...
Ally: That's not what I'm worrying about.
Renee: Then what is it?
Ally: I think I like him.
Renee: Billy?
Ally: Glenn. Glenn! I think I might really like the guy.
Renee: Oh, no. This means... Oh, God! Ally, you might have to smile.
Ally: Come on, Renee. You know what I mean. We are complete opposites. This guy spends his days sliding down mountains!
Renee: Ally, you say your opposite is like the negative. Suppose you met somebody just like you?
Ally: Ick!
Renee: Right. And would you really wanna be with a lawyer?
Ally: No. No. But I just...
Renee: No, no. You know what you're looking for. Good-Iooking. Good sense of humor. Good father. Good sex.
Ally: Yes. Yes. But what if we don't really have anything to talk about?
Renee: All right, Ally. I know that you have this great idealism about marriage, but... And please don't shoot the messenger here.
Ally: What?
Renee: Married couples, they don't talk.
Ally: They don't?
Renee: No. The first year of marriage they do, but after that... If you took a jellybean and put it into a jar every time a couple has a meaningful discussion during the first year of marriage, and then after the first year, you took the jellybean out of the jar every time they talk. Experts say the jar will never become empty.
Ally: They measure marriages with jellybeans?
Renee: Okay, you don't like that truth. Here's another one. The biggest one.
Ally: Let me have it.
Renee: So long as he's cute, smart, sexy, and decent, who cares what else he is? Because after you marry him, you're gonna spend the rest of your days trying to change him.
Ally: Oh, I...
Renee: You're going to re-dress him, you're going to change his haircut. You're gonna handpick friends of his who still get to be his friends.
Ally: I won't do that.
Renee: Don't lie to me, girl! That's part of the fun of life. Finding the perfect guy, then trying to change him.

Chapter 9

Ally: Mr. Ballard, you've put up an admirable defense so far. With the judge, persuasive.
With a jury... This might come down not to what the jury wants to do, but what they need to.
What they need is to believe that airplanes just don't fall off the sky for no reason. They need to believe it was a screwup. They fly, as do you and I. And like you and I, to them, the idea that sometimes planes just crash because they just do... Unacceptable. There has to be a reason. Somebody had to have made a mistake there. That had to be a bad plane or a bad pilot because these things, they just can't happen. They just can't. Consider what you want, Mr. Ballard. Consider what we want. And consider what the jury wants. And then consider what they need.

Chapter 10
Ally: You know, I've never done what I did yesterday. Running home from work to...
Glenn: Me neither.
Ally: Really? You? You just seem like you were built for running home from work.
Glenn: I still feel like some kind of sexual object with you.
Ally: Glenn.
Glenn: That could be a reason why I wanted to make love twice. Prove to myself it wasn't just a one-night stand. Ally, you and I... I can't see you and I having a future. Can you?
SINGING VOICES: Nah-nah-nah-nah
Ally: Excuse me?
Glenn:You're a great girl. But I still feel like some kind of boy-toy.
SINGING VOICES: Nah-nah-nah-nah
Ally: Boy-toy?
Glenn: It's not you. It's me. I have some kind of complex with successful working women. SINGING VOICES: Hey, hey, hey
Ally: Glenn, it's... It's not like we've explored a relationship here.
Glenn: I know. But...
Ally: Well, you know this after two dates?
Glenn: I do. I'm sorry.
Ally: So now what?
Glenn: Maybe... Maybe I should leave.
Ally: Sure. I'll pay. I'm a successful working woman.
Glenn: Bye, Ally. You're a great lady.

Hey, hey, hey Goodbye
Nah-nah-nah-nah
Nah-nah-nah-nah
Hey, hey, hey Goodbye

Chapter 11
Ally: Twice! He actually got me twice. You know what really bothers me?
Renee: There won't be a third?
Ally: No. He's one of those men who can't handle not being thought of as a nice guy. When I bumped into him, he felt busted. He couldn't bear the thought that I might think of him as a dirtbag. That's why he asked me out again.
Renee: You okay?
Ally: I'm fine. I am! I would like to get a little even, though.
Renee: What are you thinking?
Ally: Oh, just go back a little in time.
Renee: "The Penguin"?
Ally: Will you do the honors?
Renee: We're adults. We're lawyers. We don't do that Penguin thing anymore, Ally.
Ally: Oh, Renee. No, we have not officially retired the Penguin, and this guy... He's the perfect finale.
Renee: You do it!
Ally: No. He would see it coming from me. Besides, we need your special little nasty touch. Please?

Glenn: I'm not really comfortable being sculpted by you, you know, since I was intimate with your roommate.
Renee: Oh, I didn't just drop by to sculpt. And I'm not here to stick up for a roommate now. I'm here because while you might not enjoy being a one-night stand, I do.
Glenn: Excuse me?
Renee: I want you. I've been holding your clay self in my hands. Now, it's time to chisel the real thing.
Glenn: Does Ally know about this?
Renee: Yes. She told me to help myself.
Glenn: She did?

Georgia: What's the Penguin?
Ally: It's a little hard to describe. You kind of have to see it.
Georgia: Can I?
Ally: Sure. We're aiming for tonight. Shhh.
Billy: What's going on?
Georgia: Nothing.
Ally: Just talking about the case.
Billy: Oh yeah, I forgot how much fun a plane crash can be.
Georgia: Ah, Billy. Um, Ally and I are going out tonight. A girl's-night-out kind of thing. That's okay, right?
Billy: Sure.
Georgia: Great. Well, we've been here ready for this. Closing's in an hour.
Ally: Okay. What?
Billy: You having a good time?
Ally: Excuse me?

Billy: This thing with the model is a little disappointing. I don't suppose it's any of my business.
Ally: No. But since you wedged your nose right in there, go ahead.
Billy: Do you think it looks good you're running around with...
Ally: With what?
Billy: All I'll say is this: When a lawyer walks into a courtroom, he or she goes in with her reputation. Promiscuity undermines that reputation.
Ally: Are you serious?
Billy: Yes, I am.
Ally: Promiscuity. Okay, how about hypocrisy? Did you give this little speech to John Cage when he was busted for solicitation?
Billy: I didn't have to. And besides, it's different for a woman.
Ally: Oh, all right. A woman is...
Billy: Subject to a double standard. It may not be fair, but surely it's held true. If you wanna go have fun, fine. But be discreet. If you don't care about the firm's credibility, I think you should at least care about your own.
Ally: Hey! Who I date doesn't concern this firm. And it doesn't concern you. If you have a problem, don't come with any "firm reputation" pretext.
Billy: Bitch!
Ally: Lawyer!

John: Money. They have it. We want it. And we need you to make them give it to us.
And we want a lot. Their plane went up. But it went down. Their father died. Not that you can really compensate my clients. But if you spank Transatlantic hard enough, you can make it in their economic interest not to ever, ever, ever let another plane come down. Maybe you could make them so obsessed with safety so they hire more mechanics, maybe they do more testings, maybe they limit the number of years an aircraft can fly. Maybe. Maybe, maybe, maybe. Who knows what that kind of obsession could achieve? What we do know is that kind of obsession… It won't come from conscience. It won't be motivated by good will. For that kind of commitment to humanity, it can only come from one thing. Let's all say it together.
John & Jury: "Money."

Chapter 12

Glenn: So she doesn't have any hard feelings?
Renee: No. No.
Glenn: She thought you were a great guy, actually.
Renee: Pull over here.
Glenn: What are we doing?
Renee: You're not one of those "got to have a bed" guys, are you, Glenn ?
Glenn: It's cold, Renee.
Renee: It's just... I'm just a wee bit experimental.
Glenn: Ah, experimental. You mean what? Like frostbite?
Renee: Have you ever had a Penguin?
Glenn: A Penguin?

Ally: This is stage one. Here. Look.
Georgia: I can't believe we rented these infrared things.
Ally: Oh, it'll be worth it.

Glenn: What happens if a car comes?
Renee: If a car comes, I promise, you won't notice.
Glenn: What?
Renee: No. For a Penguin, you are just a recipient.

Glenn: He's wearing Speedos!
Ally: No, they're an Italian knockoff. Wintergreen-scented.

Renee: All right, now. Lower your shorts.
Glenn: Lower my shorts?
Renee: All the way down to your ankles.

Georgia: Oh, my God! I can't believe this!

Renee: Now, come to me. Come on.
Glenn: Come to you? Where are we going?
Renee: That's it, baby. Oh, that's great. You are so hot, baby. Faster. Faster, now. You are doing it, baby. That's it! That's the Penguin! You are doing it, baby. That's it! That's the Penguin, baby! Bye-bye, Penguin!

Chapter 13
Billy: Is she in?
Elaine: Yes.

Billy: Hey.
Ally: Hey.
Billy: I'm sorry. I had no right to be so...
Ally: Holy?
Billy: Holy? I was about to say I was an ass.
Ally: Yeah. Ass-holy.
Billy: Listen. The reason I think I overreacted, I think that maybe part of who I am, my esteem, is that you used to be with me. Maybe that gets threatened or I should say diluted a little if you've been with everybody.
Ally: Billy, I haven't been with everybody. I haven't nearly had time!
Billy: Hey, I came really to apologize.
Ally: Yeah. And you're good at it. Men are very good at swooping with apologies the day after. First the pain, and then the big sorry swoop.
Billy: What the hell are you talking about?
Ally: I'm sick of being a casualty everybody swings by to apologize to.
Billy: Then I'm not sorry. Happy?
Ally: Very. Anything else?
Billy: No. That's all.
Ally: Well, if you think about anything, you should come right back, okay?
Billy: I will.
Ally: Oh, and maybe I'll make a list for you of all my upcoming dates you can run back and check to save the firm from the embarrassment.
Billy:  Bitch.
Ally: Man.

Mr Ballard: Well, it's all about blame. If you get hurt, file a claim, collect your money. The idea that a plane could crash, that people could be killed and an airline could be held not liable… Of course they should pay. If a, If a person gets cancer, there, there's got to be a doctor to sue. If somebody skids in the snow, go after the government. They're the ones with the plows. Last year, a man's house was destroyed by hurricane. It was called an "act of God," so he sued his church. And he won.
John: I apologize.
Mr Ballard: If you get hurt, there's got to be a bad guy. Pain doesn't just happen. There's got to be somebody to blame.

Ally: It's like he was talking about me.
Renee: You?
Ally: Yeah. He, he...
Renee: A plane crashes, hundreds of people die, and you find a way to make it about you. That's a new record.
Ally: I don't mean that. I mean about blaming everybody, or everything for... Do I blame other people for all of my, my woes?
Renee: Yes.
Ally: No, I want you to think about it, Renee. I'd like a considered answer. Do I blame everybody else for all of my problems?
Renee: Yes.
Ally: You didn't think about it.
Renee: Ally…
Ally: This is one of the reasons why I probably push too hard with men, because I am starved of communication. Because all I get from my roommate is unthoughtful, knee-jerk quips!
Renee: You just blamed me for your problems with men.
Ally: I did? Well, you made me. Never mind. Never mind. I'm... As usual, you've been a very big help.

Richard: Are we winning?
Ally: The jury's out.
Richard: But we're winning. We're gonna win. It's win, right?
Ally: The jury's still out, Richard. If you'll excuse me.
Richard: I wanna talk about this...
Ally: Cramps.
Richard: All right.

Billy: Ally?
Ally: Go away.

Elaine: Glenn is here.
Ally: Thank you, Elaine.
Billy: Ally?
Ally: Go! No, wait. Stay. Okay, I only have time for one apology scene per life. Since you're both here, I'm sorry. I know you're in here, offering olive branch this morning. I just wasn't in the mood to be forgiving, since I'm still angry at men. And that was because of you. That's why we gave you the Penguin lesson. I'm sorry about that, too. It's just that I guess you hurt me and, like the lawyer for the airline said, people get hurt then feel the need to blame. I was blaming you even though you didn't do anything wrong. In fact I was glad you told me you were leaving the country. I wouldn't have slept with you otherwise, and I really did want to sleep with you. That's hard for me to say in front of him because I slept with him forever. I apologize to you both for that, for two people bringing together for a combined apology. I'm sorry. You're both really good guys. It's just that you stung a little because I'd like you to, could be, and you can still sting without even trying because you are meant to be. And this is nothing to blame. I was wrong. And I'm not finished yet, but I need to breathe. Where was I?
Elaine: You're needed in the conference room.
Ally: Oh.

Chapter 14

Ally: Six-eighty-five.
Mrs. Pierce: And that's good?
Georgia: That's great. A jury could give us more, but they could also rule against us. My advice is to take it.
Mrs. Pierce: No.
John: Da, da, da, da, da, da, da…
Mrs. Pierce     Mr. Cage, when we first came to you, you told us, emotion aside, this is a case about money. And we accepted that. But our father is dead, and we're in here trying to win a lottery. We'd like a verdict. A judgment against that airline.
John: You might not get it.
Mrs. Pierce: Well, we know that.
Mr. Lamb: And we apologize. I know law is a business. It's your business. And for us to spring this on you now is…well, I'm sorry.
Ally: Mr. Lamb, Mrs. Pierce. We are your lawyers. If you want to go to verdict, we'll go to verdict. You don't have to convince us of anything, and you certainly don't have to apologize.
Mrs Pierce: Thank you. Thank you.

Richard: This is what happens when the justice system gets perverted by principle. And you three are supposed to be lawyers?
John: It's a lawyer's job to make sure their decision is an informed one, and it was.
Richard: Oh, go take a moment.
John: That was uncalled-for.
Elaine: Oh, people! There's a certain jury back with a certain verdict.

Georgia: Richard, are you sure you can handle this?
Richard: Everything happens for a reason, Georgia. Even lunacy. We're going to win and get even more than that offer.
Georgia: What if we lose?
Richard: I vomit, then dive into it. I brought my snorkel.

Judge: Has the jury reached a verdict?
Jury: We have, Your Honor.
Judge: And what say you?
Jury: In the matter of Lamb versus Transatlantic Airlines we find in favor of the plaintiff and order the defendant to pay damages of the amount of 1.1 million dollars.
Judge:  Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, we thank you very much for your service. You are free to go now.

Mrs Pierce: Thank you so much.
Ally: Congratulations.
Georgia: Congratulations.
Jury: You want the verdict? Souvenir?
Mrs Pierce: Yes, I will.
Richard: May I, uh, touch that? Thank you. Yeah. Oh...
Mrs Pierce: You can keep it.
Richard: Thanks.

Chapter 15

Billy: I have to admit it. I thought you'd gone crazy again.
Ally: I did. I'm comfortable there. You know, I just need to let the air out sometimes. Please don't take it personally.
Georgia: Here we go. Do you want to toast now or wait for the others?
Billy: Wait. Do you want to go dance first?
Georgia: I could do that.
Billy: Do you want me to round up a twin?
Ally: No. No, thanks. I'm fine.

Ally: (The lousy thing about winning, it's harder to deny you're alone.)

Guy: Would you like to dance?
Ally: Oh, um… Thanks, but I think I'm gonna just sit here and watch my friends for a while. Maybe later.
Guy: Sure.

Billy: Didn't do enough today?
Ally: Why? Who you got? I was kidding. So where's Georgia?
Billy: Still down there.
Ally: Oh, she doesn't mind when you steal away to come see me?
Billy: I wasn't coming to see you. I just came up here to get my bag.
Ally: Uh-huh.
Billy: Good going with the win today.
Ally: Yep. Winning's the thing.
Billy: I still get jealous. I see you with somebody else, and I get jealous. That's why I was so... Ally: Well, I, I was so... Because I felt guilty. You believe that? Being with a guy and I feel like I'm betraying you.     Tell me I don't need help.
Billy: Yeah, you need help. But what about me? I mean, one of these days you're gonna meet somebody. For real. Good night. 
Ally: Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment